Where we live, nowhere AT ALL sells naturally sweetened sauces or condiments so we really needed to get creative when we began keto.
These past two weeks, I’ve been focusing on sauces and condiments and has come up with a bunch of sauces and condiments that should be a staple in your fridge and are a must try on the keto diet, or for anyone following a low carbohydrate or diabetic-friendly diet or lifestyle.
There are so many variations of BBQ sauce available now. Just in our local supermarkets, we have sticky BBQ sauce, Smokey BBQ sauce, Chili Spice BBQ sauce and an array of others.
We really wanted to create a good variety of sauces so we never miss out and so we could flavour various meals differently.
I started by creating a recipe for Keto Tomato Ketchup Sauce.
It only took him a few tries to perfect it. It is crazy simple to make and takes less than 5 minutes.
The Keto Tomato Ketchup Sauce is used as a base to both our Keto BBQ Sauce and our Keto Smokey BBQ Sauce.
The only difference is that if you’re making the Keto Tomato Ketchup Sauce specifically for making either of the BBQ sauces, make sure to leave out the salt.
When you make the BBQ sauce, the ingredients already contain large amounts of salt so you won’t need to add extra.
Keto BBQ Sauce FPC Chart
This Keto BBQ sauce recipe can also be used as a marinade for a variety of meat.
If you want to use it as a marinade, simply put it in a ziplock bag or a glass container with your meat and toss until the meat is completely covered in the marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
The longer you leave it, the more flavours will infuse into the meat.
Then just cook it as you would normally. We also like to add this sauce to our meatball recipe to give it a nice BBQ flavour.
Keto BBQ Sauce
Keto Tomato Ketchup Sauce
- 400 grams Tomatoes diced (canned or fresh)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
- 2 tsp Erythritol
- 10 drops Stevia Liquid
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper black, ground
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- +/- 1 tsp Salt only add salt if you're making just the tomato ketchup sauce
- 4 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Liquid/Coconut Aminos
- 3 Tbsp White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder or 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp Pepper black, ground
- 2 tsp Paprika plain or smoked
To Make Smokey BBQ Sauce
- +/- 1/2 tsp Liquid Smoke if you want Smokey BBQ Sauce
- First, if you're making tomato ketchup sauce to use as tomato ketchup sauce, remember to add the salt. If you're making the tomato ketchup sauce to make BBQ sauce, omit the salt as it will be far too salty.
- Combine all the ingredients for the Keto Tomato Ketchup Sauce using a Nutri-bullet or emersion/stick blender until very well combined and the tomatoes are no longer chunky but very smooth.
- Store your tomato sauce in the fridge for up to 10 days. you could also freeze it for a couple of months but we prefer it fresh and it is so quick and simple that we don't really need to freeze it.
- For the Worcestershire sauce, simply add all the ingredients to a Nutri-bullet style appliance or use an emersion/stick blender until everything is very well combined.
- Place the sauce mixture in a small saucepan and simmer on the stove for 5-7 minutes.
- Let the Worcestershire cool and then add it to the keto tomato ketchup sauce and mix until both sauces are well incorporated.
- Your deliciously spicy and zingy Keto BBQ Sauce is ready for the fridge unless of course, you want it smokey. In this case, just add some liquid smoke to taste. Start small and work from there because as you know, liquid smoke is super strong and everyone's smokey likeness varies greatly.
- Make sure your liquid smoke is well combined and it's ready to devour.
KETO BBQ SAUCE
NOW TO PINTEREST!
It has a strong flavour so you don’t need too much of it anyway.
We don’t thicken ours that much but you could certainly add more thickener like xanthan gum or guar gum to thicken it if required.
You could also add any spices you like to change the flavour to however you like it.
If you make our Keto BBQ Sauce or any of our other variation of any of our Crazy Simple sauces, make sure to take a picture and tag us on Instagram.